Wednesday, February 20, 2013

NY Times Art & Design

Going With the Flow


I was interested in this article for the interesting fact it was discussing waterways and comparing how another country dealt with their issues. I enjoyed thinking of how much "Water management here depends on hard science and meticulous study." The first picture is of the Dutch's idea to try and solve a flooding issue for the residents and their properties. The second photo is New York's failure to have a flood control system in place before disaster struck. I read the whole article and took into account what the author meant because I actually greatly disagreed with how the Dutch was taking away their farmland in order to "improve" flooding control. If the location of the land is that threatening, then the populous shouldn't be allowed to live there-and I believe that for everywhere (New York, New Jersey shores,etc.). Although, I can see each vantage point, it's just this wouldn't have to be an issue if there was not people living in hazardous locations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment