Monday, February 11, 2013

Lenscratch



Rebecca Reeve

     The title of the website/article were both intriguing, however, I had to read further into the article and look at the rest of the pictures before I was captured. There were many photos that thoroughly caught my attention and some that appalled me throughout this website. Although, this nature and curtain photograph was my top pick, simply because of the calmness and simplicity it brings about. I didn't read the article until after seeing this photo. The article was about a project by Rebecca Reeve. She describes her inspiration for her photographs from a common ritual in Europe where family members, of loved ones who've passed, would cover mirrors and paintings of landscapes so their spirit would not have trouble leaving this world. The covering of landscapes made this artist realize what would we do without those "escapes." She uses the Everglades as an example of "beautiful vistas." Thus, this is where she shoots her photographs for this project--great idea I think. This especially intrigued me to read and look further into her article. 
     Although knowing that the curtains serve as several functions, I connect closest with her perspective of how they re-attach us to the "wilderness experience" by, as she says, reversing how we urbanized societies are shutting out "light." Reeve's says it best when explaining the ritual of why the deceased person's soul may wish to stay in this world, "The ritual seemed, by extension, to be a confirmation of the deeply moving experience that one often feels in the natural environment..."  
     Perfectly capturing the simplistic, white curtain surrounded by the knock out gracefulness of nature herself, Reeve's inspires me to want to capture such meaningful photographs.     


No comments:

Post a Comment