Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Urbanautica

Kodachrome


I didn't really have anything attract me within this article at first. I was more interested in just learning the story behind these three photographs posted above.  As I read the article, however, I actually found quite a few things appealing of this photographer. Matthew Marks was hosting, for the first time in the United States an exhibit of 25 of Luighi's Ghirri 1978 seminal publication. I was excited to learn this photographer spent his "working time" photographing in Italy, since that is where my great-grandfather is from. I don't know what all Italy's landscape looks like so I was fascinated to look at how, "Ghirri presents his surroundings in the book in tightly cropped images, making photographs of photographs and recording the Italian landscape through its advertisements, postcards, potted plants, walls, windows, and people." It is obvious, as this article backs up, that this artist took shots of reality through the surroundings he was involved in, which I was more than interested to look into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment